Assistant Director Exams Operations - British Council
Opportunity to work with senior stakeholders in a fast growing environment
Lead a team of individuals at a world class brand
About Our Client
The English and Examinations Strategic Business Unit (E&E) is one of three strategic business units in the British Council (the others being Arts and Education & Society) all of which have the remit to build trust for the people of the UK by building relationships through aspects of our language and culture. E&E achieves this by enabling people across the world to access the life-changing education and work opportunities that are created by learning English or gaining valuable UK qualifications. The British Council's 2020 vision for English & Examinations is to be the world authority in high quality English language teaching, learning and assessment, as well as the International distributor of choice for UK professional and school qualifications. Currently E&E delivers around 3.5 million exams worldwide per year across in 110 countries
BC Examinations and English Services India Private Limited (BCEESIPL) is a subsidiary and the second largest exams operating unit employing 350 staff across 4 offices in India. We are seeking to expand the leadership team in order to meet increased business volume underpinned by the deployment of new technology solutions. In 2018/19 it will deliver 700,000 examinations in 45 cities across India as well as providing B2C Digital Learning courses, corporate ELT training services and two major employability skills and assessment projects with State Governments.
The key responsibilities for the Assistant Director Exams Operations are:
Leadership & management
Coaches and guides towards team performance of the country operations team, working with country leadership to address skills or motivation gaps as it arises.
Product Service Delivery
Capacity Management - manages relationship with AD Commercial for Demand and Capacity Planning
Manages rolling 18-month single plan for all products down to Test Day
Ensure staffing levels are planned and resources are recruited to maximise business sustainability and efficiency
Sets venue strategy, profiles and works with Procurement and Venue proprietor
Provides guidance to secure venues, and gives feedback to Operations team in country on venue performance
Provides clear and effective leadership, develop staff and contribute to team excellence, leading by example
Takes end-to-end accountability for researching and obtaining satisfactory and timely resolution of complex/escalated customer (internal or external) operational complaints and issues, coordinating input from other colleagues/departments/managers as required, to do so. Ensures the customer is kept informed throughout the process.
Relationship & stakeholder management
Works with Business Improvement (BI), Change team on planning future changes to delivery profiles
As required, supports Heads of Operations in hosting/attending external events or meetings, ensuring these run efficiently and effectively and that a positive, professional image is projected.
Risk & compliance
Contingency planning and risk management of supply.
Sets standards and performance in Exams security and compliance (QCA and IELTS audits)
Analysis & reporting
Manages daily/weekly planning/capacity meetings
Holds daily dashboard, weekly reporting, cost to serve
Analyses outcomes and recommends improvements to Test Day planning activities
Commercial & resource management
Operates and runs regular reports on range of standard, corporate financial processes and procedures to enable effective budget and resource management for the team, unit or project(s) - e.g. purchase order system, FABS, SAP, procurement processes.
Actively seeks to maximise value for money when acquiring resources, goods or services for the team, unit or project.
The Successful Applicant
To apply successfully to this opportunity, you must have:
- Relevant experience of identifying suppliers in a business environment
- Experience of translating demand requirements to ensure capacity can be met to deliver operationally within a large business
- Experience managing large teams, remote working or demonstrating management potential
- Supply change management including reporting and analysis
- Demonstrable success with external vendors, partners and agents
- Provides full line management to a team where all members are working in a similar area of expertise or business. Scope includes planning, setting objectives, role modelling an inclusive culture, recruitment, development and performance management.
- Able to use a range of non-standard and creative approaches to inform, and persuade others, extending beyond logical argument to influence decisions and actions in a way which is inclusive and engaging.
- Monitors and controls an agreed budget within a defined area, producing reports and analyses and contributing to planning.
- Develops and reviews the implementation of annual plans for a work group or function, taking account of business and customer requirements and reconciling competing demands.
- Has track record of identifying and highlighting risks and suggesting mitigating actions.
- Reviews available data and identifies cause and effect, and then chooses the best solution from a range of known alternatives.
What's on Offer
In addition to an attractive compensation package, you will get the opportunity to work with a progressive and inclusive organisation, in a role that can potentially change the lives of millions across the globe.